Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Mario Bank Tutorial

You may (or may not I guess...) know that I work for the YMCA of Awesomeness 
I work with kids....Every day. 
Coincidently, most of my craft projects resemble something you'd find in a 4th grader's desk.
Don't worry. Today is no exception
Also, for the record, I made this for no reason. Whatsoever.


 Time: 30 minutes
Difficulty: Easy
Cost: Free (ish)
Fun-ness: If you have a simple mind like me, then yeah. It's fun.

Materials:
Mod Podge
Sponge Brush
Blue and Green Tissue Paper
Container
Printed Mario Sheet
Colored Pencils

Directions
Step 1: Mod Podge
Mod Podge Blue Tissue Paper all over the container in multiple layers. Cut the green tissue paper into a wavy green line. Wrap it around the container and then Mod Podge over it. Let it dry for a few minutes while you get your "color on"


Step 2: Get your Color On
Get a copy of the coloring sheet HERE. Size it in Word, and print it out. Color that baby until your heart's content. Don't use markers though...unless you like the whole "bleeding" Mario look. Who am I to judge though? Cut them out when you're done.


Step 2: Place and Mod Podge
Your Mod Podge should be pretty dry by now...so I just started sticking them wherever. They aren't "really" glued down (since it's just kind of tacky), so you can move them around until you're happy with how it looks. Take them off one by one, and Mod Podge under, then over the characters. Once you're done, give it a final coat and let it dry for a few hours. 


And that's it! 
Just put your lid on (If you're feeling adventurous, you can even cut a hole in the top) and your son (or nerdy daughter) will have the coolest bank on the block. 

The critics are all raving about the Mario Bank!!
"Wow...that bank is....yeah" - My husband
"Is there money in there? If so, I want it" - Parking Lot guy
"What do you want me to say?" - Weird Mole Lady
"That bank is simply fabulous" - Sarah Fillbotter
okay...that was actually me.

And we're done.   

5 comments:

Jill said...

Cute. This would be a fun craft to do with the kiddos. I love the Mario theme!

Nicole said...

I love this! I think I might just make one for my Nintendo obsessed nephews! :)

Mrs Bishop said...

adorable- my hubby would go bonkers for this!

nicolette {momnivores dilemma} said...

now i can't get the theme to the super mario brothers out of my head...

Little Birdie Secrets said...

If I show this to my kids they will ditch me and come to live with you. Brilliant. We will be making these this week (while we listen to the Mario Bros. theme songs CD, of course). But my favorite part of this post were the quotes. You kill me. :)